What We Do
ICAP is a Canadian not-for-profit charitable organization. ICAP connects, engages and assists communities or individuals across Canada to search out their local Italian-Canadian story.
Via local committees and individual members, ICAP guides them to identify, document, and place their collections and stories in a safe space, such as a local museum or archives.
ICAP has the expertise to guide local groups on how to save their stories or collections. ICAP’s assistance comes in diverse forms: we offer resources such as toolkits, a project database, and regular workshops; explore funding possibilities, connections with experts in the field, and networking with other researchers or local groups working on Italian-Canadian heritage conservation. We also organize a National Conference every year, where there is the opportunity to share Italian-Canadian stories from across Canada and get insight into ongoing work in the field.
ICAP’s main objective is to engage Italian-Canadians across Canada to work on projects that assist them in saving their Italian-Canadian story, photos and more, so that these stories can become part of the Canadian historical fabric.
What Can ICAP Do For…
- Read all about ICAP’s Organization, Board of Directors, and History
- Browse a sampling of our Projects & Instructional Models, or get caught up on past conference activity
- Contact us to book a free consultation or to discuss your needs
- Become a member to take advantage of local expertise, toolkits, workshops, and so much more!
- Provide expertise on how to save your Italian-Canadian story and materials.
- Provide project support including toolkits, “How To’s,” and skill-building workshops
- Provide access to our Projects & Instructional Models page, where you can view models and processes of past projects featuring local materials
- Connect you with a range of expertise, including other individuals who have experience working on historical research projects
- Invite you to attend or participate in our annual conference, where you can share your work or gain more insight into what is being done across Canada
- Potential to feature your project on the ICAP website and share it with others across Canada and internationally
- Connect you with researchers, scholars and other heritage professionals in this field.
- Provide access to our resources.
- Facilitate networking across Canada.
- Provide assistance to explore funding opportunities for your project.
- Invite your institution to attend or participate in our annual conference, where you can share your work or gain more insight into what is being done across Canada.
- Potential to feature your project on the ICAP website.
- Provide assistance in locating and developing potential funding opportunities for your project.
- Link with local ICAP committees to learn more about their process and work.
Committees and Collaborators
Local ICAP Committees
- ICAP SARNIA
- ICAP LONDON
- ICAP CALGARY
- ICAP GUELPH
- ICAP WATERLOO REGION
- THE MARIANO A. ELIA CHAIR in Italian-Canadian Studies
- CANADIAN MUSEUM OF HISTORY
- ONTARIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
- CLARA THOMAS ARCHIVES, YORK UNIVERSITY
- IL CENTRO ITALIAN CULTURAL CENTRE (Vancouver Italian Canadian Club)
- CANADIAN MUSEUM OF IMMIGRATION AT PIER 21
- FAMEE FURLANE TORONTO
- FOGOLARS FEDERATION OF CANADA
- NATIONAL CONGRESS OF ITALIAN CANADIAN (National Capital District)
- VILLA CHARITIES
- KELOWNA CANADIAN-ITALIAN CLUB
- ASSOCIAZIONE CULTURALE LEGAMI LONTANI
- ITALIAN-CANADIAN ARCHIVES OF QUEBEC AT CASA D’ITALIA